Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Issue # 11 - Autumn Scents you need to own

Issue # 11 - Autumn Scents you need to own


Well it's the middle of August, and if you're looking forward to cooler days and crisp nights like I am, then you're going to need to amp up your Autumn Fragrance selection to match the weather. You may or may not have noticed by now that i am very big on fragrances, and i plan on spending a lot of time writing about them because let's face it gents; nothing completes an outfit better than a great scent (and a great jacket). Now if you've learned anything from me yet, you know that cool/cold weather calls for a heavier/warmer scent than your summer fragrances. If you're still having a hard time understanding what constitutes a warm scent from a cool scent, hang in there, you will get it. The best way in my opinion, is to close your eyes, smell the fragrance and think of what comes to mind. This may not work for everyone, but it sure does for me.


Please note that the below fragrances are actual scents I own, and use on a regular basis. I have omitted my signature scents of course, since as i mentioned before, once you find one that works, keep it to yourself. Remember, you want to be unique, not smelling like everyone else.




John Varvatos -
This is one of my favourites, from one of my favourite designers. Coming in a sleek and stylish bottle, this scent is at the same time both old school and contemporary, and harnesses a deep, rich scent that holds many nuances. At first smell, you may mistake it for an "old man cologne", but put this idea to rest. John Varvatos is spicy and leathery and screams masculine without screaming 1978. Use sparingly as it does hold quite well. This is a perfect scent for cooler nights and close up moments with a lady friend. Trust me on this one.





Burberry for men -
I discovered this scent by complete mistake a couple of years ago in the summertime. I bought it by mistake while looking for Burberry London, and it was one of the happiest mistakes I have made. A little spicy and a little floral, this scent does not go unnoticed. The warmth of this scent pairs amazingly with cold November nights and wool coats. If you can see your breath in the air, this scent can come out to play.




Kenneth Cole RSVP -
This is one of my newest favourites that i have recently discovered. After receiving a Kenneth Cole shoulder bag for christmas last year, I took some time and looked more into Kenneth Cole, and fell in love with him as a designer. This scent caught me originally because of the fantastic wooden packaging, but kept my interest with the masculine, woody and warm fragrance within. I find this scent to be a chameleon because it can be pulled off in all weather in my opinion, but I love it for cool weather the most. Something about it brings to mind apple picking in october, or an early snowfall in november. Fantastic scent by a fantastic designer.




Dolce and Gabbana The One -
I received this scent as a gift, and it is fantastic. Warm and inviting, this scent shows manliness but in a classy, refined way. Sophisticated and subtle, it holds a mysterious quality that is hard to put a finger on, but is worth it. It's a little bit spicy, a little bit powdery, a little light, a little dark...It doesn't hold as long as other scents on your skin, but spray a liberal amount on your scarf, and it will hold all day.







Valentino -
I received this from my girlfriend when she returned from Italy last autumn. At the time, i was not familiar with Valentino, but fell in love instantly. It's a very unique scent, and has specific notes of Anise (licorice) that i found intriguing, since i have not come across many colognes with Anise notes. It's crisp and clean in an intense way, but doesn't overpower. I would use this on especially brisk mornings or evenings, but not as an everyday scent. I find it especially appealing when the smell of fallen leaves is in the air, and you can just see your breath.



Well gentlemen, those are my top picks for you for Autumn 2010. As mentioned above, I have kept out my personal signature autumn scents, since I don't want you falling in love with them as I did. You can't all smell like me, now can you. Maybe one day i will share them, but for now you will just have to experiment on your own and find the perfect scent for you. Ultimately guys, strive for at least ONE signature scent per season. And if you have a scent for Autumn you love, comment and let us know!


Have a great night guys,

S.G.

No comments:

Post a Comment