Monday, October 18, 2010

Issue # 22 - Fragrance Reviews

Issue # 22 - Fragrance Reviews

Versace: Blue Jeans -


This, I will admit is a scent that i would most likely normally ignore, citing the strange canned packaging and "cheapness" of the overall look as a reason why it can't be good. I would have surpassed it effortlessly in search of something that LOOKED better. But upon further inspection I admit, i would have been wrong to overlook this one...it's so ridiculously unique, I would have felt stupid for ignoring it.


I had never heard of Blue Jeans by Versace, and upon visiting my local Shoppers Drug mart (don't knock it, they have a surprisingly good fragrance selection), I checked this out. I always look at the discount fragrances as well as the main displays because there are usually some pretty great finds for cheap. Generally at the end of every season, they take their leftovers and sell them for cheap to make shelf room for the new scents. Sometimes it's very slim pickings, sometimes you find great buried treasures...like this one.


Upon first smell, you immediately know this one is different. For a men's scent it's very sweet and almost candy like, evoking fresh top notes and strange crispness. Admittedly, I didn't like it. But i allowed myself to ponder on it, letting the scent simmer on my skin and alas, i fell in love with it. It's so strangely unique and different from everything else in my collection, I felt it was a perfect addition. It's SLIGHTLY overpowering at first, but i suspect it's only because they scents are very different than what i am used to. It lasts well for roughly 5-6 hours or so, and the base notes are quite pleasant, like a sweet aftertaste of a light and refreshing dessert.


Fragrancex.com carries this in the 75ml format for about $30...i was able to snag this for $20. Not a huge savings, but with no shipping to worry about, it was a steal.



Marc Jacobs: BANG -


Marc Jacobs' new, and much anticipated scent "BANG", has finally been released in canada. I saw the ad for this fragrance in the latest GQ issue, and immediately was intrigued. Although I don't own a Marc Jacobs scent, nor had i sampled one, i was very excited for this release. The entire ad campaign is very well done, and the name Bang has several connotations, from sexual to literal, referring to the unique and gorgeous bottle; which was my immediate attraction.


The other day, I went to sample it, very excited. I walked in to see the 100ml bottle on display for a staggering $95, the 50ml version for $65. While i knew the fragrance would be pricey, a $100 + price tag was a bit steep even for my blood. Regardless, i sampled it, fully knowing that if i loved it, i could get it for much less online...i sprayed it on the tester strip, aired it out a moment, and smelled...


I was so disappointed. My anticipation led up to a bitter let down, as it smelled as if i had jumped face first into a pool of cracked black pepper. The scent was light and not overpowering, but the topnotes of three different peppercorns were so blatant and assaulting, i couldn't get past it. I knew that the topnotes didn't dictate the entire scent, (as i learned quickly with lacoste red), so i wasn't ready to base my entire opinion on that first whiff. I sprayed myself once, and left the store, eagerly awaiting the heart notes to bring me some sort of promise. Sadly, they didn't. While the scent faded into a more pleasant aroma, the soaking of pepper remained on my skin, seeming less as a light fragrance, and more of an odd body odour. It reminded me a little bit of Burberry The Beat, but with its top notes on crystal meth.


All in all, as much as i wanted this to be a jaw dropping fragrance, it struck me as much more talk than walk, leaning on it's massive ad campaign and sexual imagery to convince people they smell sexy...when in reality they smell like they've been pepper-sprayed. Maybe you like this scent...maybe you love pepper...but for $95, save your money.


That's all for today gents,
until next time,

S.G.

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with you. This scent is all hype and nothing to back it up

    ReplyDelete