Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Issue #34 - Wine Reviews

Issue # 34 - Wine Reviews!


Hello again gents, well it's a snowy day outside, and if you're like me and plan on spending the night in, you might want a good bottle (or two) of vino to keep you company...I had the chance to sample several different wines this holiday season, and am ready to let you know about them!


Truth Wine -


I initially grabbed this bottle for 2 reasons: It was cheap and the bottle design is truly unique. There are 2 wines; truth and dare. I tried truth, in the green bottle, and i will admit that the bottle is really the only reason i bought this. It's a white wine. I can't tell you what type of white wine, because it literally just says White wine. It doesn't specify what the blend is, so it's about as informative as saying "ground meat". That being said, I opened it, and while it wasn't the worst wine I have ever tasted, I can easily say the bottle is the best thing about this one. It's slightly dry and not very complex, which is surprising since there are a lot of great wines coming out of ontario lately. I haven't tried the Dare version yet, but if the Truth variety is any indicator, there will be nothing daring about it.



Inniskillin Unoaked Chardonnay -


Well what can i say? Another stellar contribution from Inniskillin. I admit i was already biased based on my love for their late autumn riesling, so when this was corked i was already prepared for how crisp and delicious it is. Dryer than the riesling, but not ultra dry, there are notes of green apple and citrus, all wrapped up in a buttery smoothness that goes oh so well with white turkey. Chill it to your preference and make sure you swirl give it a brisk swirl in your glass to release the fresh apple notes on top. On a snowy day like today, if white wine is your thing, grab a bottle, and settle in for the night, you're not going to want to put this one down.





Alta Fuzion Torrentes Pinot Grigio -


this was a complete impulse purchase for me, as it was in the "We suggest" bucket at the LCBO cash register. It was about $10, and it seemed like it could be ok. My first mistake with this one was drinking it at room temperature. It lacked character and was decievingly flat, which threw me for a loop right off the bat. The palette was pleasant enough, but the finish just felt :"thin" to me. I am not sure if thin is the proper term to use, but it felt as if it were lacking substance, like there was something missing. similar to drinking a watered down fountain drink. When the bottle was very chilled, it tasted better, but the thin finish was still hard to get by. I am not familiar enough with pinots to know if this is a character of the grape, or if this is just a flaw of this brand itself. I would not suggest this wine at all. Spend a couple extra dollars and get something worth it.




Da Luca 2004 Primitivo Merlot -


I saved this one for last because it is by far the star of my recent wine tastings. My girlfriend gave this to me about 2 years ago with the promise that I would not open it until a special occasion. I went almost 2 years until she gave me the permission to open it whenever I want because she doesn't even like red wine. I opened this last night, and wow. First of all, it's a 2004 which means it's been aging in the bottle for almost 7 years. The swirl opened up aromas of dark cherry and something almost spicy, although i couldn't put my finger on it. It was dry, dark and mysterious with plenty of fruit flavours present throughout. Although it's a dry wine, it doesn't leave that parched feeling on your palette, as it finishes surprisingly smooth. I am not sure if that's a character of this wine, or if it's due to the 7 year aging, but it was pleasant and delicious. I had only planned on having a glass of this, but a second glass was quickly poured, and was equally as fantastic. I highly suggest this wine, as it will be a staple in my collection for a long time to come.


That's it for today gents, but plenty of issues coming up, including some much needed grooming tips for 2011! Happy wine hunting, and I'll see you soon!


Cheers,
The Style Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment