Monday, January 24, 2011

Issue # 37 - All about the hair

Issue # 37 - ALL about the hair


You've all been there, at some point in your life; Standing in front of the mirror, needing to leave the house to be somewhere, and your hair just...won't....cooperate with you. No matter what style you try, product you use, or technique you apply, your hair just will not do your bidding. So you either opt for the most appropriate hat you can find, or you risk going out on the town with a head that looks as if a raccoon has nested in it. I know that feeling all too well. Sure, sometimes you just can't avoid a bad hair day. But in my case, the main reason these bad hair days were happening was because I was fighting with my hair: a losing battle from day 1. Why or what was i fighting? I was fighting my natural hair, in an attempt to gain a hairstyle I wanted. Basically, I have wavy hair, and desperately wanted straight hair. See, this was in the late 90s / early 2000s, and THE style to have was that god awful "Flat on top, bangs spiked straight up" style. We've talked about this in previous issues, and it pains me to say that a great number of  men still sport this 98 Degrees travesty. Back then, I went along with it, and fought every step of the way. Having wavy hair meant that in order for my hair to stand straight up, per the style, i had to keep it extremely short, which didn't really suit my face or body. As soon as my hair got to a certain length, the style didn't hold, and my bangs would flip or curl over, ruining the look i was aiming for. I resorted to all sorts of ridiculously stupid tricks, including hanging my head upside down until the hairspray took hold. It was truly a pain in my ass.


Now, it's 2011 and I am very happy to say that I have forfeited my battle, and have surrendered to the natural wave in my hair. And why the hell wouldn't I? It's a perfect time for wavy haired men to take centre stage again. The beauty of having wavy hair, I am learning, is that it's much more forgiving, and it's easier to pull off the "I don't give a shit" look so many men strive for. Be aware though, this look actually takes a lot of trial, error, and time to pull off, so don't be fooled by the name. So many leading men in today's media have brought back the unruly head of waves; Robert Pattinson, Bradley Cooper, and McDreamy are just a few, and one can never forget the immortal James Dean.


What am I getting at here? it sounds overly cliche, but love what you have. whether you have pin straight hair or a head of tight curls, figure out how to work with it, because 99% of the time, your natural hair is what will look the best on you. Not sure how to pull off a style? Here's a few tips.


First off, determine the length you need. Your hair dresser should be able to help you with this. Personally, mine is long on top and short on the sides....a mix between classic early 60s business man, and the rebel without a cause himself...with just a touch of height that only a confident guy could pull off. But i know that if my hair is too short, not only is the style impossible, but it also makes my head look freakishly tiny. be aware of these. Find the length that works best for your face and hair, then devise a plan.


Find pictures of guys in magazines with hair that you like. Remember, you don't want to EXACTLY copy them, rather use them as inspiration for your own coiff. Bring them to your hair dresser, and explain to them what you are looking for. As long as you're not getting your hair cut at First Choice or Fantastic Sam's, they should be able to start you in the right direction, and begin cutting your hair accordingly.


Be patient. Some hairstyles look effortless and easy, but they take time for your hair to grow into, so be PATIENT. It may be a few months until you start seeing the hair you desire, so use the time in between to start perfecting your look. TIP: I've said it before, and i will say it again, The Secret to Good hair is Dirty Hair. Don't wash your hair every day. It's not your job, so slack off, and let your hair product build up a little bit. If you like a lot of volume like i do, this is your main weapon. After a couple of days, your hair will have just the right amount of buildup to give you styles you didn't think you could pull off. Once again, I will suggest AXE hair products (the ONLY products from axe I will EVER endorse), because they simply work, and work well. Use the spiking paste through dry- to mostly dry hair to get hold and shape without looking crispy, shiny and gross. Hair Gel is not good, so switch to something better, and USE HAIRSPRAY. I will get to why next.


BE PATIENT! Yes, i have said this twice, why? because it's important, and because having a cool look might actually require you to spend more than 3 minutes on your hair. I am speaking from personal experience, and since i know my hair well, I will walk you through how i get the look i get. The very first step is DO NOT MAKE YOUR HAIR THE LAST THING YOU DO. This is important, because when you leave it to last, you tend to rush it, and have no patience with it. Also, if you're running late, you will be more likely to spend less time than normal. Instead, do this: After you shower (without washing your hair), dry off, pick your clothes, etc. When your hair is dry or mostly dry, depending on preference, Put on whatever shirt you're wearing, and go and do your hair. ( you put the shirt on first so you don't mess up your hair putting it on afterwards). For myself, since i need volume, i do my hair in the style i prefer, using just enough product to get the shape i am aiming for, and giving it a light spray of hairspray. Then i leave the bathroom and continue on my routine of getting ready. While i am doing this, every so often, i will run my fingers upwards through my hair, beefing up the volume. The hairspray i applied will aid in it keeping this shape. After about 10 minutes, i will revisit the bathroom, adding a little more product, and revamping the look. This time it's a bit higher, and has way better shape. Repeat the process above, and the third time is usually the final time, adding enough product to hold it, and locking in the look with a decent dose of spray.  (TIP: don't use hairspray that says "flexible hold", and do NOT spray too close to your head. You want "barely any product" look, not a "just out of the shower" look). My favourite part of my hairstyle is that if the wind plays with it, or it falls a bit during the night, it still looks good, and just a non-chalant runing of my fingers through it will put it back in place. You may think this is silly, but women will see this not only as a sign of a low maintenance man (even though it took longer than they think), and will also trigger their desire to run THEIR hands through your hair. Not silly anymore, is it?


Ultimately guys, take your time, and above all, as usual, BE CONFIDENT. You may feel weird with the new look, but if you work it like you own it, it will look as if you've always had it. Trust yourself, and for those of you gents still rocking the 98 degrees look, get rid of it. In case you haven't noticed, the best hairstyles are the ones that have been grown out a bit.


Until next time,
Style Guy

No comments:

Post a Comment